"Haligonians got their first opportunity to see inside their
new City Hall when, on 22 May,1890, Mayor McPherson
held a levee or an "At Home", attended by twelve hundred
well-attired ladies and gentlemen.
On the second floor, the band of the 63rd Regiment
entertained, while on the third floor, decorated with flags,
bunting and spruce bushes, guests could promenade and
enjoy refreshments of ice cream and chocolate cake."