Halifax Rifles Recruiting Contact Information

                                                           HIRING NOW!!!

Location: CFB Windsor Park, behind Military Family Resource Centre, where parking is available.

Parade Nights: Tuesdays 7:00 – 10:00 pm from September to June

Make an appointment to talk to one of our unit recruiters now!

Unit Recruiting Officer: Captain Sarah Gray
E-mail: sarah.gray@forces.gc.ca
Phone: 902-427-4417

General Information
All applicants must meet the following requirements at the time of application:
a. Be a minimum of 16 years of age (for reserves with parental consent);
b. Be a Canadian citizen;
c. Have a minimum of six high school credits (NS); and
d. Be free from outstanding legal obligations.

How to Apply?

Apply online now! Follow link: To join us, here are some key pieces of information for your application:
  •   Component of Interest: Primary Reserves
  •   Occupational Environment of Interest: Canadian Army
  •   Entry Program: NCM / Officer
  •   Entry Plan: NCM Unskilled / Reserve Entry Scheme Officer (if you  are  pursuing a University      
  •   degree  /       Direct Entry Officer (if you already have a degree)
  •   Military Occupations: Armoured

Difference between NCM and Officer:
  • Non-Commissioned Members start out as Privates. This position starts at the most basic level   and  a
    minimum of high-school (Gr 10) is required.
  • Officers start out in leadership roles. The courses to train officers tend to be longer (10-16 weeks) and a
    University degree is required.

What We Do
The Armoured Reconnaissance is the eyes and ears of the advancing friendly forces. We are usually deployed
5-50 km in front of the main force. Their primary role is to obtain accurate information on the enemy and the
ground in all phases of war and pass it back quickly to the higher command. We are highly trained in
observation and surveillance.

As a member of a reconnaissance (recce) vehicle crew, you will be trained as a driver or observer. An armoured
soldier has the following primary duties:
  • Drive and maintain the recce vehicle;
  • Load, fire and maintain the recce vehicle’s machine guns;
  • Maintain and operate the recce vehicles radio equipment; and
  • Gather and relay information about the enemy and terrain

‘Recce’ Vehicle: The G-Wagon
The G Wagon is a light utility vehicle equipped with the latest technical innovations. It is the vehicle of choice
for military applications in armies around the world, including the United States, Germany and France.

In the Canadian Forces, the G-Wagon is used by both the regular force and reserve units to provide tactical
transport in the fields of command and control, liaison, and reconnaissance.

             Members of the Halifax Rifles (RCAC) mounting up to commence reconnaissance tasks

Terms of Service
Unlike the Regular Force, the Reserve Force has no minimum engagement and there is no contractual
obligation. At any time, if a reservist no longer wants to serve he or she may resign. Most reservists work one
evening throughout the week and some weeks as well as full summer employment.

Pay and Benefits
A Private (Recruit) starts making $90.30 per day and can earn approximately $5600.00 (before taxes) during a
single summer over nine weeks of employment. Officer Cadets start making $99.12 per day. For specific pay
rates you can visit:  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/pay-rates.page (Class A Service is part-

Post-Secondary Education Subsidy
Tuition assistance is available to all Primary Reserve Soldiers for any post-secondary education programs.
Generally, a reservist can earn up to $2 000 a year (or half of what they paid) for up to 4 years of study. Ask a
recruiter for further details.

Basic Military Qualification – The first stage of training for everyone is the Basic Military Qualification (BMQ)
course. For reservists, this is usually run on weekends during the school year. This training provides the basic
core skills and knowledge common to all trades. A primary goal of this course is to ensure that all recruits
attain the Canadian Forces physical fitness standard. BMQ covers the following topics:
  • Handling and firing personal weapons;
  • Policies and regulations within the CF;
  • CF drill, dress and deportment;
  • Basic safety;
  • First-aid;
  • Personal survival in chemical, biological, nuclear and radio-active war-fare conditions;
  • Navigation; and
  • Personal survival in field conditions.

Soldier Qualification – After successful completion of BMQ, soldiers move on to a Military Training Centre
for the Soldier Qualification course, this covers the following:
  • Army physical fitness;
  • Dismounted offensive and defensive operations;
  • Reconnaissance patrolling;
  • Advanced weapons-handling (grenades, machine-guns and anti-tank weapons) and
  • Individual field-craft.

Military Occupational Training – On completion of SQ, Armoured soldiers attend Military Occupational
Training (also known as DP1) normally at the 5 Div Training Centre at 5 CDSB Gagetown. Basic MOC teaches
the following skills:
  • Driving and maintaining the recce vehicles;
  • Firing and maintaining weapon systems;
  • Identifying Canadian and foreign military vehicles, aircraft and equipment;
  • Using tactical command and control communications equipment;
  • Organization, roles, doctrine and tactics of armour and reconnaissance; and
  • History and traditions of the Royal Canadian Armoured Corps.

Small Arms
  • C7 Assault Rifle
  • C13 Grenade
  • C9 5.56MM Light Machine Gun
  • Carl Gustav Medium Anti-Armour Weapons
  • M72 Light Anti-Armour Weapon
Soldiers are qualified on these small arms during their first 3 courses (BMQ, SQ and MQ).

Frequently Asked Questions
  • What are my obligations as an Army Reservist?
To become trained and employable as a soldier you are required to complete the first 3 courses; BMQ, SQ and
DP1. This usually involves a part-time commitment during the winter/spring followed by full time work in the
summer. As an Army Reserve soldier you will be expected to serve one night a week as well as one weekend a
month. You are paid based on your rank while employed. To see the CF Pay Scale click here (Class A/B is for
reservists) http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/pay-rates.page

  • Can I work Full-Time?
There are opportunities for full-time employment both during the summer months and year-round. These
positions vary in their skill requirements and must be applied for through your unit. If you decide that you want
to pursue the military as a career you can also transfer to the Regular Force to work full time.

  • Will I be sent on operations overseas?
The opportunity exists to volunteer for operational deployments, but there is absolutely no obligation to do so.
All reservists who serve do so voluntarily and must request to do so.

  • Will I have to leave the province?
During your first summer while taking courses to become a qualified soldier in your chosen trade you may be
asked to leave the province.
Page content updated for 2017 by Captain Sara Gray with thanks.